Australia cricketers seen smoking during Ashes celebrations: Not ideal, says Steve Smith

first_imgAustralian cricketers Shaun Marsh and Jackson Bird were seen smoking in public during celebrations after their Ashes triumph over England.The Australian team was at Coogee Pavillion recently to have a good time after crushing England 4-0 to regain the urn. However, the mood was dampened a bit when Marsh and Bird were pictured smoking by Australian newspaper, the The Daily Telegraph.Both Marsh and Bird drew heavy criticism for smoking in public. Off-spinner Nathan Lyon, who finishd 2017 as the highest wicket taker in Tests, also appeared to be holding a cigarette when he arrived for the party.Health experts were not impressed as Australia’s cricketers puffed away in public. “In this day and age, why would elite sportsmen (a) still be smoking, and (b) doing so in a public space when children around Australia, teens around Australia, young men, seek to emulate them?” Quit Victoria director Dr Sarah White told Heidi Murphy. “Smoking is not illegal … it happens to be the leading cause of preventable deaths and disease in Australia, but sadly not illegal.”Australia captain Steve Smith, who was also present at the Coogee Pavillion, said it was not ideal for his men to be seen smoking in full public glare.”It’s not ideal. But boys were just there trying to have a good time. Trying to celebrate what’s been a great couple of months and that’s part of playing cricket for your country and winning big series,” he told Channel 9’s Today Show. “You need to celebrate your success and the boys had a really good time and those kind of things coming out aren’t ideal but you can’t do much about it.”advertisementAustralian leg-spinner Adam Zampa said he did not see what all the fuss was about as there were no children present at the venue when Marsh and Bird lit up. “I don’t think there was any kids at the [bar] Coogee Pavillion,” he said.”I don’t think they were doing it on purpose in front of any kids either.”After a 4-0 Ashes, the guys have done quite well, it’s probably a nice time just to loosen up a little bit and have a beer and, if they want to, they can light one up.”Marsh, making a comeback into the Australian team during the Ashes, was the second-highest scorer in the series with 445 runs including two hundreds and two fifties from five matches.Bird, the other Aussie cricketer in the eye of a storm over the puffing incident, played just the Boxing Day Test and finished with figures of 0/108.Marsh and Bird are not the first Australian cricketers to be clicked smoking in public.Shane Warne, back in 1999, had been offered a $200,000 contract by a nicotine substitute company named Nicorette to give up smoking. However, a mere days before the end of a four-month deal, Warne was seen lighting up at a bar in Barbados.Back in May 2011, Warne, then captain of Rajasthan Royals, was caught on camera puffing a cigarette inside the airport premises in Indore. Soon after deplaning, the legendary leg-spinner had a quick smoked before boarding a bus to go to the team hotel.last_img read more

Bucks top Penn State Northwestern fall to Michigan in quad meet

After the men’s swimming and diving team wrapped up its four-team quadrangular meet with Michigan, Penn State and Northwestern on Saturday, coach Bill Wadley said there was not a guy on his team who did not give his very best. Unfortunately for Wadley and the No. 9 Buckeyes, points are not awarded for moral victories.The men’s team fell for the first time in its dual-meet season Saturday, losing to No. 7 Michigan 197.5-135.5. However, the weekend was not a total loss, as the Buckeyes managed to outscore Penn State 263-70 and Northwestern 263-37.  In comparison to last year’s Big Ten Championships, Wadley believes his squad is picking up ground on Wolverines.“They won Big Ten’s by 300 points last year,” Wadley said. “I feel good about the effort our guys gave, and I think in time we’ll close the gap.”If the Buckeyes could have pulled out some of the closer races, the score might have turned out differently. Nevertheless, OSU’s only individual win on Saturday was sophomore Andrew Elliott’s win in the 100 breaststroke.“There’s a lot of room for improvement,” Wadley said. “We’ve got to win the close races. When you lose the close races, those points add up.”After the Buckeyes captured an exhilarating victory in the 400 freestyle relay to end Friday’s portion of the meet, Elliott teamed with junior Elliott Keefer, freshman Tim Phillips and senior Joel Elber to win the 200 medley relay to start Saturday’s events. “I’m really happy [with how I swam],” Elliott said. “I tried to help the team as best I could today. Hopefully we can carry this momentum into Big Ten’s.”Any comeback hopes after the quick start faded after Michigan promptly rebounded by sweeping the 500 freestyle and taking first and second in the 100 butterfly. The Wolverines would add four more individual event victories to pull away from OSU.“We are just a step behind Michigan,” Wadley said. “They’ve got a couple of world-class athletes [on the team].”The Buckeyes will attempt to rebound from the tough loss at the hands of their rivals next Friday as they host Eastern Michigan and wrap up the dual-meet season. read more

Salah feels special to play for Liverpool

first_imgMohamed Salah has been incredibly impressive this season for Liverpool so far and he admitted that he can feel like it is something special to play for the Reds and he enjoys it.His team managed to eliminate Manchester City after beating them 3-0 at home and 2-1 at Etihad – and the winger admitted that he had never seen something like this before in his career as the atmosphere at the home game was incredible.The Egypt international spoke about the way it feels like to play for Liverpool as he said, according to CNN:“There’s something very special about playing for Liverpool.”divock origi, liverpoolReport: Origi cause Klopp injury concerns George Patchias – September 14, 2019 Divock Origi injury in today’s game against Newcastle is a cause for concern for Jurgen Klopp.Perhaps with one eye on Tuesday’s trip to Italy…“The Champions League nights are special for the fans too. You can feel it on the streets.”“The atmosphere in that first game against Man City was the first time I had really seen something like that.”“When we saw the draw, everyone knew it would be a difficult game. I knew it would be difficult but I said we had to be positive and win.”“That’s what we did.”last_img read more

Campbell rubbishes Englands World Cup heroics

first_imgFormer England international Sol Campbell has rubbished recent praises coming the way of the England team that participated at this summer’s World Cup in Russia.The former Three Lions defender who represented his country for 11 years has dismissed talk of a revival under Gareth Southgate, saying the country simply got lucky at the World Cup and are still well behind Europe’s elite.“We have to be honest, although they did incredibly well to reach the semi-finals in Russia the draw was also incredibly kind to them,’ said Campbell, according to Daily Mail.“They didn’t really meet a top team until Croatia. Hopefully, moving forward, they will have learned a lot from the Croatia game in terms of not switching off. But when you look at what France or Belgium had to do, would England have survived the same tests?”“For me now, it’s all about a reality check and how they push on. We have the Nations League then the Euros. Sometimes in the Euros you meet harder teams and let’s face it, the likes of Italy and Holland will have a point to prove.”Jadon Sancho, Borussia DortmundCrouch: Liverpool could beat Man United to Jadon Sancho Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Peter Crouch wouldn’t be surprised to see Jadon Sancho end up at Liverpool one day instead of his long-term pursuers Manchester United.Meanwhile, Campbell who is well adored at Arsenal by the club and its fans has tipped the Gunners to take a huge step forward this season under new manager Unai Emery.He said: “Manchester City are streets ahead but Arsenal could well have beaten Chelsea and might even have been 5-2 up at half-time.”“I see really good signs because they are learning from mistakes during games and not waiting till afterwards. Halfway through the season you will see where Arsenal are.”“Sometimes, you’ve got defenders who simply don’t want to defend,” said Campbell. “Football has changed. Hard tackling seems to have gone out of the game.”‘I don’t know why that kind of training isn’t around any more. To find the kind of really good defender like those we had in my day, that’s gold dust.”last_img read more

Danilo injury concern for Man City

first_imgManchester City will observe Danilo’s fitness upon his return from international duty with BrazilThe 27-year-old full-back had only recovered from an ankle injury last month, but appeared to have sustained damage in the same area on Tuesday.Danilo started for Brazil in their South American showdown with rivals Argentina in a four-team friendly competition at Saudi Arabia.But Sky Sports reports that a tearful Danilo was forced to leave the King Abdullah Sports City stadium in the final 37 minutes of the game with a suspected ankle injury.The injury occurred while Danilo attempted to stop an Argentina attack and he was replaced with Liverpool’s Fabinho by Brazil coach Tite.It’s currently unclear whether Danilo will be available for City’s Premier League game against Burnley this Saturday at the Etihad Stadium.Daniel Fark, Norwich City, Premier LeagueDaniel Farke, From mid-table in the Championship to the Premier League Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 Norwich City manager, Daniel Farke, has taken his team from the middle of the table in the English Championship to play with the big boys in the Premier League.The Brazilian has featured only once this season for Pep Guardiola’s side in a 3-0 win over Oxford United in the Carabao Cup.Meanwhile, Brazil won the game against Argentina 1-0 through a late Miranda goal.Danilo leaves field in tears for Brazil to hand boss Guardiola injury blow https://t.co/xtbrHPSoyk pic.twitter.com/ap5Hn59NiG— The Sun – Man City (@SunManCity) October 16, 2018last_img read more

Benjamin Mendy named in Man City squad for Carabao Cup clash

first_imgManchester City boss Pep Guardiola confirmed that Benjamin Mendy has been included in the squad for Wednesday’s Carabao Cup semi-final second leg.The French full-back has been sidelined since November after he underwent knee surgery in Barcelona.It was an unwelcome blow for Mendy after missing most of his debut campaign at City due to an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury on his right knee following his reported £52m move from AS Monaco in 2017.Nearly two weeks after announcing Mendy had returned to training, however, Guardiola has now named him in his squad that will travel to Burton Albion on Wednesday.“[Mendy is] in the squad for tomorrow,” said Guardiola on the club website. “He will travel with us. Maybe on the bench.“I would say with the results we have done last two years, we have not missed him too much but I would say we have missed him a lot.Premier LeaguePremier League Betting: Match-day 5 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Going into the Premier League’s match-day five with a gap already beginning to form at the top of the league. We will take a…“My feeling is he can give something extra. Hopefully, in the last part of the season and in the future we can use him.“He pushes from the outside on the left, he is unstoppable. Especially in the last third, he is so clever. He is clever when he does those kinds of actions.“In two seasons he played few and when we talk, practice he is not there. We will need some time to adjust his quality for what we need.”But City captain Vincent Kompany will not be available due to a “little injury”, although Guardiola did reveal that Kevin De Bruyne and Phil Foden will start in midfield.The Catalan coach also added that there will be a number of youngsters in the squad with City boasting a 9-0 aggregate lead over Burton for a place in next month’s final.The semi-final second leg between Burton and City will begin at 20:45 (CET) on Wednesday.last_img read more

SDC secures 51 Million for community groups

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp TCI Premier blasts Opposition side for “slop” information, sets it straight in HOA Recommended for you Photo credit: Jamaica Observer Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppKingston, Jamaica, January 20, 2017 – The Social Development Commission (SDC) has secured $5.1 million under the Government of Jamaica Administrative Grant Fund for some 170 community development committees (CDCs) across Jamaica.  This was disclosed by Executive Director of the SDC, Dr. Dwayne Vernon, as he addressed a recent JIS Think Tank.  The grant is a dedicated source of funding available to all CDCs to be used for administrative support, once they meet the established criteria.   Dr. Vernon said the money, which was disbursed up to December 31, 2016, was used to help the groups to strengthen their administrative capabilities and undertake measures to increase “people participation” in their community.He informed that another 178 applications are being processed for grant assistance under the Governance Capacity Grant Fund (GCGF).  He said that $1 million is to be disbursed “so they can implement projects they believe can strengthen their organisation, consistent with the themes of the SDC.”   Governance structures can access funds under the GCGF to improve their sustainability and viability, to make more effective and meaningful contribution to parish and national development.Dr. Vernon also disclosed that the SDC is taking steps to introduce a grant facility to support new small and micro-enterprises.    This facility, he said, will be implemented through the Local Economic Development Support Programme (LEDSP) and will have specific focal points to aid and support the beneficiaries into a stronger operational position.  “We’re going to be putting in place this grant facility and we’re very confident that this will happen.  The facility will… allow them to strengthen their productive base and also to support their registration. We also want to support them with money to help them to take their products to market,” he indicated.Meanwhile, Dr. Vernon informed that the SDC has relaunched 19 community groups, bringing the total number of active bodies to 577 island wide.    “We have strengthened 193 of the 577 community groups through the implementation of training strategies to enhance their community operations,” he said.center_img Related Items:#MagneticNewsMedia Nearly 30 Haitians caught following illegal landing in Nassau, says Defence Force Bahamas Police Commissioner Greenslade gone to UK, appointed as High Commissionerlast_img read more

Broken fire hydrant floods Mission Valley apartment complex

first_imgBroken fire hydrant floods Mission Valley apartment complex July 21, 2017 Jessica Ranck, Jessica Ranck Posted: July 21, 2017 SAN DIEGO (KUSI) — A vehicle knocked over a fire hydrant at a large Mission Valley apartment complex Friday, causing a several-story-high geyser that flooded residences and garages on the property and displaced dozens of residents.The accident in the 900 block of Camino de la Reina occurred about 11 a.m., according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.It took crews about a half-hour to halt the overflow, city spokesman Arian Collins said.The flooding affected 16 apartments, SDFRD spokeswoman Monica Munoz said. The American Red Cross was called in to help arrange for alternate lodging for 23 adults and three children pending completion of cleanup and repairs, she said. Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitterlast_img read more

Local Drug Take Back Day Is Almost Here

first_imgThe drug take-back day is being hosted by the Soldotna Police Department, Change 4 the Kenai and the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), to prevent pill abuse and theft. The DEA cannot accept liquids or needles or sharps, only pills or patches. Representatives from Change 4 the Kenai emphasize that the service is free and anonymous, with no questions asked. The Soldotna Professional Pharmacy will be open from 10 a.m.to 2 p.m., for the event. Change 4 the Kenai will be giving away $5 coffee cards to each person who disposes their unused or expired medication until they run out. Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享On Saturday, April 29, Kenai Peninsula residents will be able to dispose of potentially dangerous expired, unused, and unwanted prescription drugs from 10am to 2pm at Soldotna Professional Pharmacy. For more information about the disposal of prescription drugs or about the April 29 Take Back Day event, visit Change 4 The Kenai.last_img read more

Alaska Legislature Urges Feds To Rethink Marijuana Stance

first_imgThe resolution also asks the federal government to respect the state’s authority to regulate the use, production and distribution of marijuana in Alaska. The House voted 37-0 Monday to accept changes made by the Senate. The Senate passed the resolution unanimously earlier in April. Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享JUNEAU, Alaska (AP) — The Alaska Legislature has passed a resolution urging the federal government to reconsider its listing of marijuana as a controlled substance.center_img Alaska voters in 2014 approved legalizing recreational use of marijuana by those 21 and older. Marijuana remains illegal at the federal level.last_img read more