Second outlet for Bachmanns

first_imgBachmanns Patisserie and Chocolate Creations, of Thames Ditton, Surrey, is to expand to a second outlet. Owner Chris Bachmann has bought a new premises in Weybridge, Surrey. Bachmann told British Baker: “We have always wanted a second site with a high profile and more interior seating. Some customers make a special trek from Weybridge, but too infrequently.”Our Thames Ditton site is 1,500sq ft, Weybridge will be over 3,000sq ft. Initially we will continue to make and bake products here [Thames Ditton], but the new premises will have finishing and chocolate rooms and a bake-off oven. Later on we hope to share more work between the two sites. Eventually I’d like to add a pastry school on the top floor at Weybridge.”Initially, he said, he will need to recruit three apprentices and three shop staff. It is expected the new outlet will be open by mid-September.last_img read more

When September comes

first_imgSeptember has been a month brimming with dates in the bakery calendar.The Baking Industry Awards, or the Oscars of the bakery world as I have been told by some, took place just a couple of weeks ago celebrating the best in talent, from newcomers to experts. Last week, National Cupcake Week saw hundreds of UK bakers taking to their mixers and piping bags to conjure up a series of classic, quirky, artistic and slightly unusual cupcakes – beer and bacon to name one – to raise money for CLIC Sargent, a worthwhile cause I’m sure you will all agree. The Week seemed to create a good buzz around baking, with the media taking note of bakers up and down the country who were getting involved.No time for a breather, it was straight off to Munich for the iba trade fair last Monday, the place where the international bakery industry came together to set the agenda for the next three years. A hive of activity, spanning across 12 halls and attracting visitors in their tens of thousands, the exhibition was an eye opener after a flurry of activity in September.As the industry gears up for the autumn/winter season, bakers were in search of the latest innovations and trends. From contemporary, designer cube cakes to low-carbohydrate breads for health-conscious consumers. For those who were unable to attend, the repercussions of iba are bound to be seen in the coming months. Equipment manufacturers, ingredients suppliers, packaging firms and shopfitting specialists honed their products to focus on the current needs of customers, including energy-saving, space-saving and more bespoke solutions. Take for example Capway Systems, which has seen an increasing number of plant bakeries creating seeded breads in recent years. Its conventional vacuum depanner works efficiently, with the company continuing to sell one of these systems every two weeks.  However, as a result, these pieces of kit take off seeded toppings from loaves, which are a popular trend, leaving unattractive holes on the end product, as well as unecessary waste ingredients.The company took notice and listened to its customers, like many firms supplying the bakery industry are doing. It developed a needle depanner, which now grabs the bread loaf from either side using a row of thin needles, with no signs of gaping wounds in the bread and toppings are left untouched. It’s small changes like these that are making a difference to baker firms, and will hopefully continue to progress over the years. The industry is constantly evolving and adapting to these problems, and it is promising to see that bakers can cater products, both new and existing recipes, for the good of the consumer’s current needs.You can read more about the trends and innovation that came out of this year’s iba trade fair in the 5 October issue of British Baker.last_img read more

Lee: Pardew has a job on his hands

first_imgFormer Newcastle skipper Rob Lee has warned Alan Pardew he faces a major fight to hold on to his best players if owner Mike Ashley does not back him with hard cash this summer. However, Lee believes it could take far more than that for Pardew to rebuild a squad which may yet be further depleted during the closed-season. Asked if four big signings would be enough, the 48-year-old former midfielder, an ambassador for the Budweiser Open Trials campaign, which will provide amateur footballers with the opportunity to play at Wembley in front of professional scouts, told Press Association Sport: “It’s a start. Is it enough? No, probably not. “Is [Loic] Remy going to sign for us? I am sure after the season he has had – he’s only on loan – he will have a lot of options and if he sees Newcastle selling Cabaye, their best player, what’s he going to think? “It’s not as though he’s going to have a shortage of offers, so my instinct would say he won’t sign, so you have got to replace him; there are rumours that [Papiss] Cisse is not happy and is going to go; Shola Ameobi is out of contract; [Cheick] Tiote, is he going to be happy with Cabaye going? I think there will be a lot of people after him. “You have to keep these people happy – [Fabricio] Coloccini again, is he going to stay? There were rumours he wanted to go back anyway. “Again, it comes down to when you start selling players, your best players that are left are not going to be happy.” Lee was not surprised to see Cabaye leave the club after he was unsettled by Arsenal’s bid in August, but was astonished that a replacement had not been lined up before PSG were given the green light. He said: “Everybody knew it was coming. That’s fine, but you have to have somebody lined up to replace him. He’s your best player. “He went very, very cheaply as well – if you look at [Juan] Mata going for £37million, he’s a bargain, he’s an absolute bargain for PSG. “We had to have someone lined up to replace him straight away, but typical Newcastle, we didn’t.” Whatever happens during the summer, Pardew faces the task of trying to plug the gap left by Cabaye. His initial attempt to do that in last weekend’s Tyne-Wear derby proved less than effective as Newcastle were trounced 3-0 by Sunderland to invite further recriminations after a dreadful week or so for the club, and Lee admits the manager has a problem on his hands. He said: “You look around and you think is there anybody there who can actually do that at the moment? I would say no. “It’s a major rebuild for Newcastle in the summer, but it depends how much money you are given. For a major rebuild, you need to spend a lot of money. Will Mike Ashley give him that money to do that?” *The Budweiser Open Trials, in association with BT Sport, will see six regional trials take place across the country. The trials will culminate in a showpiece match at Wembley Stadium. Those who make the cut will have one last chance to prove it’s never too late to achieve your dream as they play in front of professional scouts. Watch the first part of the Budweiser Open Trials on BT Sport on Saturday 8th March as part of its FA Cup coverage and subscribe to YouTube.com/BudweiserUK Pardew this week revealed he wants to make up to four major signings as he prepares for the new campaign having lost star man Yohan Cabaye to Paris St Germain last month. The £19million-plus the Magpies banked for the France international remains untouched after since-departed director of football Joe Kinnear failed to find a replacement before the transfer deadline. Press Associationlast_img read more