Australia cricketers seen smoking during Ashes celebrations: Not ideal, says Steve Smith

first_imgAustralian cricketers Shaun Marsh and Jackson Bird were seen smoking in public during celebrations after their Ashes triumph over England.The Australian team was at Coogee Pavillion recently to have a good time after crushing England 4-0 to regain the urn. However, the mood was dampened a bit when Marsh and Bird were pictured smoking by Australian newspaper, the The Daily Telegraph.Both Marsh and Bird drew heavy criticism for smoking in public. Off-spinner Nathan Lyon, who finishd 2017 as the highest wicket taker in Tests, also appeared to be holding a cigarette when he arrived for the party.Health experts were not impressed as Australia’s cricketers puffed away in public. “In this day and age, why would elite sportsmen (a) still be smoking, and (b) doing so in a public space when children around Australia, teens around Australia, young men, seek to emulate them?” Quit Victoria director Dr Sarah White told Heidi Murphy. “Smoking is not illegal … it happens to be the leading cause of preventable deaths and disease in Australia, but sadly not illegal.”Australia captain Steve Smith, who was also present at the Coogee Pavillion, said it was not ideal for his men to be seen smoking in full public glare.”It’s not ideal. But boys were just there trying to have a good time. Trying to celebrate what’s been a great couple of months and that’s part of playing cricket for your country and winning big series,” he told Channel 9’s Today Show. “You need to celebrate your success and the boys had a really good time and those kind of things coming out aren’t ideal but you can’t do much about it.”advertisementAustralian leg-spinner Adam Zampa said he did not see what all the fuss was about as there were no children present at the venue when Marsh and Bird lit up. “I don’t think there was any kids at the [bar] Coogee Pavillion,” he said.”I don’t think they were doing it on purpose in front of any kids either.”After a 4-0 Ashes, the guys have done quite well, it’s probably a nice time just to loosen up a little bit and have a beer and, if they want to, they can light one up.”Marsh, making a comeback into the Australian team during the Ashes, was the second-highest scorer in the series with 445 runs including two hundreds and two fifties from five matches.Bird, the other Aussie cricketer in the eye of a storm over the puffing incident, played just the Boxing Day Test and finished with figures of 0/108.Marsh and Bird are not the first Australian cricketers to be clicked smoking in public.Shane Warne, back in 1999, had been offered a $200,000 contract by a nicotine substitute company named Nicorette to give up smoking. However, a mere days before the end of a four-month deal, Warne was seen lighting up at a bar in Barbados.Back in May 2011, Warne, then captain of Rajasthan Royals, was caught on camera puffing a cigarette inside the airport premises in Indore. Soon after deplaning, the legendary leg-spinner had a quick smoked before boarding a bus to go to the team hotel.last_img read more

Radon tests to be required for Yukon day homes child care centres

first_imgWHITEHORSE – The Yukon government will make radon testing a licensing requirement for new and existing child care centres and day homes in the territory.If the tests are positive, those same facilities must also act to reduce radon gas concentrations, the government announced Wednesday.“I’m really proud to say that Yukon is leading the way on this,” Health and Social Services Minister Pauline Frost said in an interview.Currently, no other Canadian jurisdiction mandates radon testing to obtain a day care or day home licence, the minister said.The territory has alerted all licensed child care centres and day homes to make them aware of the impending requirement, Frost said.A timeline for the changes has yet to be established, but it will occur in phases.Radon is a naturally-occurring, colourless, odourless, radioactive gas that is created through the breakdown of uranium in soil and rock.If the gas seeps into a structure and accumulates in high levels, radon inhalation can result in lung damage and an elevated risk of cancer, said a bulletin on the Health Canada website.“The health and safety of all Yukon children is the top priority for this government. So this new requirement will ensure that all children in licensed day care centres and day homes throughout the Yukon will be protected,” Frost said.Yukon NDP Leader Liz Hanson asked the government last week if it had decided to add mandatory radon testing to a 72-point assessment checklist that covers everything from ensuring the water supply meets Canadian standards “to placement of thumbtacks,” which the centres must comply with to get a licence to operate.In a 2017 capital asset management report, the Auditor General of Canada noted that the Department of Health and Social Services has known about “unacceptable levels of radon in some of Yukon’s licensed day cares and day homes,” since 2008, Hanson told the legislature.Erik Simanis, the owner-operator of Radon Measurement and Mitigation Yukon, said radon levels vary across the territory.“There’s potential for it to be everywhere. I’ve done lots of work in Whitehorse and in the communities as well,” he said.“There are certainly some spots that are worse and some that are better.”Testing for radon in a two-storey, six- to eight-bedroom building would cost a few hundred dollars, he said.The price of radon remediation can range between $1,500 and $5,000 depending on a building’s size and construction.Foundations, crawl spaces and unfinished rooms are common areas to test for high concentrations of radon presence in a building, he explained.Last winter and spring, the Yukon government tested care facilities, group homes, and young offender facilities that Health and Social Services is responsible for, Frost said.She could not confirm whether a particular facility was found to contain high levels of radon.(Whitehorse Star)last_img read more