UL researcher to spearhead cancer research

first_imgPrint Email A RESEARCHER at the University of Limerick is to bring together medical experts to generate a world-class environment for cancer research. Dr Patrick Kiely has been selected to spearhead the project by the Irish Association for Cancer Research (IACR), to which he was recently elected.A native of Tarbert, Co Kerry, Dr Kiely was recently appointed Lecturer in the Department of Life Sciences at UL, Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up where is he also principal investigator of the Laboratory of Cellular and Molecular Biology.His research is predominantly focused on understanding how cancer cells migrate from primary tumours.Dr Kiely believes that understanding this further may reveal fresh approaches to targeting cancer and other neurodegenerative diseases. Facebook Twitter WhatsAppcenter_img NewsLocal NewsUL researcher to spearhead cancer researchBy admin – July 26, 2011 560 Advertisement Previous articleVillagers for the Milk MarketNext articlePea and lettuce soup admin Linkedinlast_img read more

Jakarta moves ahead with deputy governor vote despite objections

first_img“The schedule remains the same so far [for April 6],” Basri Baco, the council’s selection committee deputy chairman and a Golkar Party member, said on Friday.The council held a confirmation hearing on Friday behind closed doors, during which the two candidates presented their vision and mission before the councillors. The two-hour session was reportedly attended by less than 20 attendees, including the committee members, one representative of each faction and the council’s leadership.After COVID-19 spread to Indonesia, the feasibility of a plenary meeting came into question, with the central government and the city administration advising against large-scale meetings.The deputy governor seat has been left vacant since the former deputy governor, Gerindra politician Sandiaga Uno, resigned to run as a vice-presidential candidate alongside fellow Gerindra politician Prabowo Subianto in the 2019 presidential election. The Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) holds the most seats on the 106-strong council with 25, followed by Gerindra with 19 seats and the PKS with 15.Riza, a former House of Representatives member, has said he was backed by, among others, the Golkar Party and the PDI-P. Meanwhile, Nurmasyah said he was backed by council deputy speaker Abdurrahman Suhaimi of the PKS.Read also: Anies’ deputy hopefuls to roll up sleeves on floodsJakarta politicians, particularly the supporters of Riza, have insisted that a deputy governor is needed now more than ever to help Anies in handling the COVID-19 outbreak in the capital.The council’s selection committee chairman, Farazandi of the National Mandate Party (PAN), said the committee had ensured that COVID-19 precautionary measures would be properly implemented on the day of voting.“[The plenary meeting] will be closed to the public and will be held in a sterile environment. The process will be recorded and distributed [to journalists] after the meeting,” he said.The plenary meeting is typically attended by at least 54 councillors, as mandated by the council’s code of ethics.“We will implement physical distancing. Only the governor, the candidates and the council’s leadership members [will be in the room]. The rest will observe from a sterile chamber and take turns casting their votes,” he said.The country reported more than 2,000 COVID-19 cases with 191 fatalities as of Saturday. Jakarta is the hardest-hit province with 1,028 confirmed cases and 89 deaths.Read also: Jakarta extends COVID-19 state of emergency to April 19Despite the decision by majority approval to hold the plenary meeting as scheduled, some councillors have continued to raise their objections, saying the council should focus on handling COVID-19.“The councillors should stop talking about deputy governor [vote] and instead they should start discussing the reallocation of the city budget for COVID-19 measures,” Wibi Andrino of the NasDem Party told The Jakarta Post.“The council leadership should have initiated an emergency meeting to summon the governor because we have to make a swift decision regarding this particular budget.”A PKS councillor made a similar argument.“We still have some time to postpone the deputy governor selection after the COVID-19 emergency status is lifted. The selection process is not as simple as only listening to a speech. It should be interactive and require more time,” PKS councillor Nasrullah said in a written statement.Read also: Councilors defer selection of Anies’ deputy governor until after COVID-19 emergencyObservers have repeatedly warned the councillors against using the pandemic as justification “to speed up” the plenary meeting without keeping transparency and good governance in check. They urged the Jakarta City Council to start the confirmation hearing only after the outbreak is completely over to allow the standard process to take place.“They [councillors] seem to have reasoned that a deputy is needed to help the governor [during the COVID-19 pandemic]. Urgent or not, this is political and therefore they will always find justifications,” Indonesia Political Review executive director Ujang Komarudin said.Topics : The Jakarta City Council is pressing ahead with its plan to select Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan’s deputy governor on Monday despite an extension of the city’s COVID-19 state of emergency.The council’s selection committee previously agreed to delay the search for the deputy governor until Monday, days after the COVID-19 emergency status in Jakarta was supposed to end on April 2. But the continued spread of COVID-19 cases forced Anies to extend the emergency status until April 19, which also extended large-scale social restrictions that have been in place since March, suspending school, office, religious and public activities.The selection process for Anies’ second-in-command will involve a plenary meeting that would vote between Gerindra Party politician Ahmad Riza Patria and Prosperous Justice Party (PKS) politician Nurmansyah Lubis.last_img read more

Sunday’s special: A big helping of Pot Roast

first_imgDenver Broncos defensive tackle Terrance Knighton talks with reporters during a news conference Thursday, Jan. 30, 2014, in Jersey City, N.J. (AP Photo)JERSEY CITY, N.J. (AP) — When defensive end Jeremy Mincey signed with Denver last month, he couldn’t believe defensive tackle Terrance Knighton had tried to ditch his nickname “Pot Roast.”“I’m like, ‘Dude, that’s a great name. Like, it makes you seem colossal,” Mincey recounted.The 6-foot-3 330-pound Knighton has sure come up huge for the Broncos in the playoffs.Knighton, who was teammates with Mincey in Jacksonville from 2009-12, helped hold New England’s bruising running back LeGarrette Blount to 6 yards on five carries in the AFC Championship a week after his four-TD game against Indianapolis.Knighton also dumped Tom Brady for a sack on a crucial fourth down, then busted out some smooth dance moves.“He had an outstanding game,” Mincey said. “He’s a good player, man. Listen, he’s always been like that. It didn’t surprise me. It might have surprised a lot of people, but it didn’t surprise me.”The Broncos could use an encore performance out of Knighton against Seattle Seahawks running back Marshall Lynch and elusive quarterback Russell Wilson in the Super Bowl so that Peyton Manning and his record-shattering offense can get on the field to do their thing.Mincey said he expects a gargantuan game out of his buddy, big enough, he said, to make “Pot Roast” as much a part of Super Bowl lore as William “The Refrigerator” Perry.“Dude, dude, there’s no limits to this kid, man. He’s phenomenally athletic. He can run for his size. He’s very intelligent. I mean, he’s basically built for this game,” Mincey said. “I don’t know what other way to put it, he’s built for this game.”As for his nickname, Knighton, a fifth-year pro out of Temple, said he was so ready to start anew after so many losing seasons in Jacksonville that when he signed his two-year, $4.5 million deal in Denver, he even wanted a new moniker.At his introductory news conference, he asked for suggestions on Twitter. Nobody came up with anything better, but some of his teammates in Denver did start calling him T-Knight — until Mincey arrived in mid-December after his release from the Jaguars.“I didn’t know he was re-establishing himself or trying to get away from that name,” Mincey said. “I think they got back to it when I first got here and I’m like, ‘Yeah, it’s an honor playing with my boy Pot Roast again.”Mincey told him to embrace it.“I said, ‘Dude, you get a nickname in the NFL, man, take it and run with it.”And so he has — even though he’s not really a huge fan of the dish. He said he’s only had it twice, once during his rookie season in Jacksonville in 2009 and again earlier this month when he took Denver’s entire defensive line out to dinner.Like any good nickname, Knighton didn’t get to choose it himself. It was bestowed upon him by former Jaguars linebacker Clint Ingram on a flight home from Seattle his rookie year.“It was a six-hour flight, guys are tired, plane is dark and the lady is walking down the aisle saying, ‘Pot roast? Pot roast? And I’m like, ‘Right here. My teammate behind me was like, ‘You’re saying that like that’s your name. I’m going to call you ‘Pot Roast.’ And then it stuck with me,” Knighton recounted.“It was either that or shrimp alfredo. So, I’m glad I got that.”___AP NFL website:  www.pro32.ap.org___Follow AP Pro Football Writer Arnie Melendrez Stapleton on Twitter: http://twitter.com/arniestapletonlast_img read more