Ireland into quarter finals at World League

first_imgIreland have beaten Egypt 2-1 their World league match in South Africa.Cargo and O’Donoghue with the goals for Ireland.The win guarantees Craig Fulton’s side a spot in the quarter finals.last_img

San Jose Sharks’ playoff tickets scarce, and expensive

first_imgSAN JOSE — Tickets for Game 2 of the Sharks’ opening round playoff series against the Vegas Golden Knights were nearly sold out as of early Friday morning. The ones still left weren’t cheap.According to a Sharks spokesman, around 100 standard tickets were still unsold for the 7:30 p.m. game. On ticketmaster.com, prices for a single ticket ranged from $132 to $365. Resale ticket prices ranged from $90 to $384. The game is expected to sell out.Tickets available on the secondary market were no …last_img read more

H-DNL football: Fortuna falls 35-20 to Foothill

first_imgLevi Nyberg had a trio of rushing touchdowns but it wasn’t enough as the Huskies fell 35-20 on homecoming to visiting Foothill—Palo Cedro, Friday night at Husky Field.Nyberg kept the Huskies close in the first half with a pair of gritty touchdown runs.The junior put Fortuna on the board early in the second quarter with a 4-yard run. Kobe Letter punched it in from two yards out on the ensuing 2-point conversion to put the Huskies ahead 8-7. The scoring opportunity was furnished by a blocked …last_img read more

Ford boost for SA engineering skills

first_img2 February 2011Ford Motor Company of Southern Africa (FMCSA) has opened a world-class production simulator facility at the company’s assembly plant outside Pretoria that will be used to train both its own employees as well as engineering students from various institutions.The facility, which is attached to the motor company’s assembly plant in Silverton, is expected to provide practical training for mechanical and industrial engineering students from institutions such as the Tshwane University of Technology.“We’re excited about the opportunities this training facility will afford students in the engineering field,” FMCSA chief executive Jeff Nemeth said in Pretoria this week. “We see this facility as an enabler to grow and develop more engineering candidates, not only for Ford Motor Company of Southern Africa, but for the industry as a whole.”World-class facilityThe facility, which was officially opened on Tuesday, follows the announcement that the company would invest R3.4-billion to produce its all-new Ford Ranger pick-up truck in South Africa.This world-class production simulator facility is focused on improving the assembly process capabilities of current and future FMCSA employees, in preparation for the production of the Ranger.The facility will enable FMCSA to train employees through simulating production processes off the line long before they start building the new vehicle.“While the facility will allow us to develop the assembly sequence and processes for our new product without disrupting the production of current models, it will allow us to improve the skills of our employees dramatically, enabling them to build world-class vehicles, with best in class quality, and compete with the best in the world,” said Nemeth.Commitment to auto industryGauteng MEC for Economic Development Qedani Dorothy Mahlangu said the provincial government was committed to growth in the automotive industry and had included the sector in its industrial policies and future strategies.She said an amount of R32-million had been allocated for training and development programmes at the assembly plant, giving a much-needed boost to skills development in the sector.Source: BuaNewslast_img read more

Tea body refutes Oxfam claims on rights abuse

first_imgThe Indian Tea Association has countered an Oxfam report on plantation labour rights violation, saying it left out the share of the price paid to a producer providing employment to the workers as well as the non-cash component of their wages.Oxfam, a confederation of 20 NGOs focussing on the alleviation of global poverty, a week ago published a report on “Addressing the human cost of Assam Tea – an agenda for change to respect, protect and fulfil human rights on Assam tea plantations”.The study by Oxfam India and Tata Institute of Social Sciences, based on interviews with 510 plantation labourers in 50 tea estates across Assam, said that the workers earned ₹137-167 despite working for over 13 hours a day.The study also said supermarkets and tea brands “typically capture over two-thirds of the price paid by consumers for Assam tea in India – with just 7.2% remaining for workers on tea estates”.In a letter to Oxfam India CEO Amitabh Behar on Wednesday, ITA secretary general Arijit Raha said the Oxfam’s study came to conclusions on issues based on findings in some tea gardens that did not reflect the true picture of the industry.last_img read more

THUNDERSTORM CHAOS AT NSW JUNIOR STATE CUP

first_imgRain Plays Havoc with State Titles Horrendous weather conditions have marred the 2005 Junior State Cup with organisers having to cancel the event before all finals had been completed and declare joint premiers. After a starting the event bathed in sunshine on Saturday morning, conditions turned nasty and dangerous in the late afternoon. Organisers had kept watch on weather radars all day as fierce winds, hail and lightening strikes headed toward Thomas Dalton Park, Wollongong. Shortly after 3.30pm conditions became the major concern of the NSWTA as distance thunder and lightening approached. With 22 minutes gone in the time slot and with driving rain, gale force winds sweeping the fields and lightning strikes becoming dangerously close the NSWTA called a halt to all games and directed 7500 people on the park to the safety of covered areas. As the rains, lightning and winds picked up power was lost and the NSWTA had no choice but to cancel the rest of the days games as safety became paramount. This action meant an immediate restructure for the following day’s play with some 83 games needing to be slotted into Sunday’s schedule. After working through the evening to reschedule the event, Sunday got underway in overcast conditions and the occasional shower but in the most pleasant conditions fro the players. As organisers kept a watchful eye on the skies it seemed that the day would proceed without hiccup. Then once again the heavens opened as the finals commenced. Torrential rain continued throughout the final series and again player’s safety became an issue, not through lightning but due to the playing surface and hyperthermia in the bitterly cold storm. Again organisers were faced with a dilemma with only half the finals having been completed. At 4.45pm the General Manager of the NSWTA made a decision he described as his `toughest in the job’ when he cancelled the rest of play and declared joint premiers in all divisions where the final had not been played. “It is heart wrenching to make a decision that cost young children the opportunity to win a state championship on the field. However foremost in our minds has to be their safety and to that end it was the contributing factor in our minds” Russell stated. In the end some 12000 people had experienced the event and even with the severe weather interruptions it appears that most if not all went away with a positive take on the weekend. One parent we spoke to said “I am amazed that they nearly got though it all given the weather? The way they handled yesterday’s storm and getting people to safety was marvellous.” Russell however is now looking toward 2006. “We need to review our current format. We may need to make some changes given its size now. All or part of the event will be in Wollongong again, in what format I am not sure yet and we will have to make those decisions very shortly. However given what we faced this year I know the staff will work to make 2006 our best ever” Final Results (3-2 scoring system used. i.e. 3 pts first touchdown and 2pts for each following touchdown) Ayoub Cup (boys 10) Penrith 7 def Wagga 6 Boys 10’s Plate Peakhurst (2) 5 def Hornsby 0 Tirado Cup (girls 10) Manly Warringah 9 def Wollongong 0 Zabielo Cup (boys 12) Wagga & Penrith joint premiers Boys 12’s Plate Blacktown & Wollongong joint plate winners Vassallo Cup (girls 12) Manly & Parkes joint premiers Girls 12’s Plate Kiama & Taree joint plate winners Yiangou Cup (boys 14) Kiama 5 def Penrith 4 Boys 14’s Plate Manly 17 def St Georges Basin 2 Taylor Cup (girls 14) Wollongong 7 def Wagga 2 Girls 14’s Plate Tamworth def Kiama Wall Cup (boys 16) Western Suburbs & Taree joint Premiers Boys 16’s Plate Wagga & Parramatta joint plate winners Toohey Cup (girls 16) Central Coast 13 def Taree 0 Girls 16’s Plate Kiama 6 def Parramatta Galea Cup (boys 18) Western Suburbs & Penrith joint premiers Boy’s 18’s Plate Manly Warringah & Port Macquarie joint plate winners Rose Cup (girls 18) Cronulla & Wollongong joint premiers Girls 18’s Plate Tamworth & Wagga joint plate winners Club Championship 1st Penrith 79pts 2nd Wollongong 57 2nd Manly Warringah 57 3rd Wagga 50last_img

10 months agoWolves confident deal for Chelsea striker Abraham will get all-clear

first_imgWolves confident deal for Chelsea striker Abraham will get all-clearby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveWolves are confident their deal for Chelsea striker Tammy Abraham is on.The Mirror says Wolves have made the England striker a prime January target and are keen on taking the 21-year-old from Stamford Bridge in a potential £18million deal.Abraham has starred for Aston Villa on loan in the Championship this season, scoring 16 goals in 20 games.Wolves officials have been working to ascertain whether Abraham would be eligible to play for the club this season, having already featured for both Villa and Chelsea. He also featured in a Premier League 2 match against Derby County, leading to questions over his eligibility.But Wolves can cite precedent, such as Liam Walsh, who played for Birmingham City, Bristol City and Everton’s U-23 side last season, but whose switch to the Robins was allowed by the FA – without help from FIFA. TagsTransfersLoan MarketAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

Early Success from State Of Emergency

first_img “Our operations are only as good as the intelligence that drives them.  We urge persons to use the JDF tip hotline, 837-8888 to call and tell us what you know about criminal activities in your communities,” he added. Colonel General Staff of the Jamaica Defence Force (JDF), Colonel Daniel Pryce, says there are encouraging results from the Public State of Emergency in  St. James, which was declared by Prime Minister , the Most. Hon. Andrew Holness on Thursday, January 18. He called for community support in providing intelligence, noting that the JDF will be putting out bulletins and social media products about the gang members, criminals, lotto scammers and other wanted men “so that they can no longer feel that St. James is a safe haven.” At a media briefing on Saturday morning (January 20) at Burke Barracks in Montego Bay, Colonel Pryce said within the first 24 hours of operations, one Kalashnikov rifle and six live rounds were seized in Flanker. The high-powered weapon, he said, is suspected to have been used in a recent killing in the parish and will undergo ballistic and forensic testing to determine its history. Colonel General Staff of the Jamaica Defence Force (JDF), Colonel Daniel Pryce, says there are encouraging results from the Public State of Emergency in  St. James, which was declared by Prime Minister , the Most. Hon. Andrew Holness on Thursday, January 18.At a media briefing on Saturday morning (January 20) at Burke Barracks in Montego Bay, Colonel Pryce said within the first 24 hours of operations, one Kalashnikov rifle and six live rounds were seized in Flanker.The high-powered weapon, he said, is suspected to have been used in a recent killing in the parish and will undergo ballistic and forensic testing to determine its history.He further informed that eight members of the Sparta gang, who were wanted for murder and other gun-related crimes, were arrested in Flanker.He added that on Friday (Jan. 19), 15 persons were arrested in connection with the illegal purchase and sale of petrol in Freeport.“Over 5000 litres of diesel and petrol, which were being sold from five illegal, makeshift, petrol distribution points, were also seized in that operation,” he informed.Colonel Pryce said the JDF will continue with targeted operations, vehicle checks, cordon and searches, patrols and snap raids to put pressure on the gangs and restore peace to St. James.He called for community support in providing intelligence, noting that the JDF will be putting out bulletins and social media products about the gang members, criminals, lotto scammers and other wanted men “so that they can no longer feel that St. James is a safe haven.”“Our operations are only as good as the intelligence that drives them.  We urge persons to use the JDF tip hotline, 837-8888 to call and tell us what you know about criminal activities in your communities,” he said.center_img Story Highlights He noted that the hotline is manned by soldiers on a 24-hour basis and offers convenience and more importantly, confidentiality.Colonel Pryce said that while he is mindful that law-abiding citizens of St. James may have concerns about the high concentration of soldiers and police in the parish, members of the security forces are trained to be professional in executing their duties and will give due regards to human rights and the dignity of all persons.He urged citizens to get acquainted with the regulations and requirements governing the State of Emergency in order for them “to easily and conveniently transit the area as they go about their lawful business.”He reiterated specific guidelines for closing hours for all businesses in St. James, which he said must be observed as violators will be prosecuted.Under the State of Public Emergency, all clubs and fast food outlets  must be closed by midnight; all service stations by 10:00 pm; bars and taverns are to be closed by 9:00 pm; cook shops and haberdasheries by 7:00 p m; and hangouts and corner shops by 6:00 pm.last_img read more

Catholic bishops apologize to residential school survivors

first_imgAPTN National NewsCatholic bishops from Alberta and the Northwest Territories have issued an apology to residential school survivors.They hope this apology will educate students on Canada’s history and help survivors heal.APTN’s Keith Laboucan reports.last_img