USC still attracts recruits

first_imgStanford football coach Jim Harbaugh announced Jan. 7 he was leaving to become the next coach of the NFL’s San Francisco 49ers, signing a lucrative five-year, $25-million contract.Recruiting power · NCAA-imposed sanctions have not stopped Lane Kiffin from finding top talent. USC’s commits currently rank 5th in the nation, according to Rivals.com. – Daily Trojan File Photo “It’s the perfect, competitive opportunity,” said the former NFL signal caller at his introductory press conference regarding the decision to bolt for the professional ranks.In the aftermath of Harbaugh’s departure, the Cardinal swiftly promoted offensive coordinator David Shaw to head coach, hoping to continue the success the program had achieved under Harbaugh’s watch, culminating in a 12-1 finish and an Orange Bowl victory earlier this month.If recent results on the recruiting trail serve as any indication, however, it won’t be a seamless transition after all, and USC stands to benefit as a result.On Monday, USC coach Lane Kiffin and the Trojans received an oral commitment from Anthony Sarao of Absecon, N.J., a four-star linebacker according to Yahoo! Sports’ Rivals.com, who had previously been committed to Stanford.The announcement came just one day after four-star running back Amir Carlisle from Sunnyvale, Calif. announced that he was also switching his commitment from Stanford to USC.“Amir is going to USC,” said his father Duane in a text message to Scout.com recruiting analyst Brandon Huffman.Saroa and Carlisle were among a group of 19 prospects visiting USC on official and unofficial recruiting visits this past weekend. The number of recruits on campus was one of the largest totals in the program’s recent history.When making his decision, Saroa told USCFootball.com, “It was a perfect visit. I had a great time out there.”The campus wasn’t the only selling point, however, as the New Jersey native admitted to being rather fond of the coaching staff’s pedigree.“USC has one of the best coaching staffs in college football,” Sarao also told the Rivals.com USC-centric website. “They definitely know what they’re talking about.”The Trojans’ staff includes highly regarded defensive coordinator Ed Orgeron, in addition to assistant head coach Monte Kiffin, who has been credited with creating the famed Tampa-2 defense. If Sarao had remained a Stanford commit, he would not only be playing for a new coach, but also a new defensive coordinator, after Vic Fangio announced he was leaving for the 49ers along with Harbaugh.Many recruiting analysts say Sarao, who is ranked seventh overall at his position by Rivals.com, has great strength, as ball carriers have had a difficult time escaping after first contact. The 6-foot-1, 220-pound linebacker can also go toe-to-toe with fullbacks when he blitzes or tries to shoot through the gaps.And with starters Malcolm Smith and Michael Morgan graduating, Saroa, who is expected to provide help at the linebacker position, addresses an area of severe need for the Trojans.In terms of depth and position need, Carlisle also represents a needed pickup, becoming USC’s only running back for the 2011 class. Ranked by Rivals.com as the 10th best player at his position, Carlisle measures 5-foot-10 and weighs 181-pounds.Huffman has compared him to former California standout and 2010 NFL Draft pick Jahvid Best, who was known for his speed and breakaway ability.Carlisle runs a 4.43 40-yard dash and can catch passes well coming out of the backfield, which will make him a two-dimensional threat for the Trojans.“Both are great pickups,” Huffman said Monday via Twitter. “Carlisle will end up being the top running back in the West and is extremely versatile.”“Sarao is a big hitter and really physical. Not real tall, but thick with great agility and range.”The Trojans currently have 25 commitments for their 2011 class, ranked as fifth-best nationally according to Rivals.com.Under NCAA sanctions, USC would normally be permitted to offer just 15 scholarships per recruiting class. Because the school is appealing the penalties, however, the limitation will not be enforced until 2012, allowing the program to offer a maximum of 20 scholarships, including the nine early enrollees that count toward the 2010 totals.It is still possible that USC could self-impose further and offer just 15 scholarships.last_img read more

Syracuse men’s basketball’s 2-point guard lineup underwhelms in loss to South Carolina

first_imgNEW YORK — With a revolving door at point guard to begin the game, Syracuse couldn’t establish any stability at a position that gave the Orange just that through its first four games.Jim Boeheim swapped Frank Howard and John Gillon for each other three times in the first four minutes, with the fifth-year senior committing two uncharacteristic turnovers and the sophomore accruing two fouls in a 15-second span before heading to the bench.In four blowout wins to begin the season, Howard and Gillon combined to score more than 20 points per game on better than 56 percent shooting from the field while turning the ball over only 11 times. In the first 20 minutes on Saturday, the pair had as many combined points as turnovers (six), and No. 18 Syracuse (4-1) fell into a hole it couldn’t emerge from in a 64-50 loss to South Carolina (6-0) at the Barclays Center on Saturday afternoon.The second half yielded far more efficient results from the Orange’s floor generals with neither turning the ball over or committing a foul, but a backcourt that often included a rare combination of both Howard and Gillon only mustered seven second-half points as Syracuse’s undefeated start faded.“We didn’t really get penetration from our guards,” Boeheim said. “The best way to do that is to have Johnny and Frank in there at the same time. Against pressure defense, that should be a lineup that works. That partially worked for a little while, but it really wasn’t the answer.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder textThe Gamecocks’ stingy man-to-man defense suffocated the point guards atop the key all afternoon. When Gillon tried a one-handed lefty swing pass less than two minutes into the game, P.J. Dozier picked it off and Boeheim summoned Howard from the bench. Not two minutes later, when Howard finally sifted into the lane, he made a layup but was called for a charge.The Orange was often left to swing the ball atop the key, hoping it would catch the Gamecocks on a slow rotation. But South Carolina was quick to shift to whoever had the ball, and only the occasional pump fake gave a Syracuse shooter the space he needed on the perimeter when he couldn’t get anywhere near the basket.“When both of us are in there, we can both attack…he can draw in a defense as well as me,” Howard said. “That’s our job, get in the paint and make a play. For the majority of the game, we didn’t do that.”On a day when SU got virtually nothing on the offensive end from either Dajuan Coleman or Paschal Chukwu, Lydon shifted to center with Syracuse needing an offensive spark and Andrew White moved to small forward. With Tyus Battle only playing 13 minutes, Howard and Gillon were given the keys to ignite any form of life into the Orange offense.Gillon committed five turnovers in the first half but had to play due to Howard’s three fouls. The pair helped spearhead some form of a comeback when Syracuse cut the lead to as few as four in the second half. But aside from Tyler Lydon’s 18 points, Syracuse didn’t get much else, especially from Gillon.Gillon was one of three players averaging in double figures heading into Saturday’s game. He only took one shot, a 3-pointer which he made early in the first half, finishing with a meager three points.“I’m not saying my teammates weren’t passing me the ball, I mean, I gotta find a way to get more shots. That’s on me,” Gillon said. “As a senior leader, I gotta find a way to will us to get over the hump. In games like this, I gotta shoot more than one shot.”A season after having only one option at point guard for the majority of the year, a scorer in Michael Gbinije who was arguably more effective off the ball, the Orange began this season with a two-pronged luxury at the position.But along with Syracuse’s promising beginning to the season, the tandem’s flourishing start came back down to earth.“I think that lineup with us two, it did work to a certain extent,” Gillon said. “But we just have to make more plays and execute.” Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on November 26, 2016 at 6:51 pm Contact Matt: mcschnei@syr.edu | @matt_schneidmanlast_img read more

Super Falcons End Protest

first_imgNational senior women’s team, the Super Falcons, have ended their sit-in protest at a hotel in Abuja after being paid money owed to them monday.They were demanding US$23,650 per player from the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) for winning the 2016 Women’s Africa Cup of Nations. The Super Falcons had been at the hotel in the capital since December 6.“The players have all left the hotel in Abuja after they started receiving payments alerts,” the team’s media officer Remi Sulola told BBC Sport.One of the players also confirmed that she and her roommate had been paid.“It’s taken some time, (because banks don’t work over the weekend) but we’ve finally received our money today Monday,” one player, who insisted on anonymity, told BBC Sport.“We thank the government, the fans and media for their roles in making sure we got our hard-earned dues.”To mark the 10th day of their complaint the team protested outside the National Assembly in Abuja while the annual budget was being presented.This led to the government releasing about US$1.2m to the cash-strapped NFF on Friday to pay the ladies.Nigeria’s victory in Cameroon was their eighth African women’s title and means they have only twice failed to win the women’s championship since its inception in 1998.The money was also used to settle outstanding win bonus for the Super Eagles in the 2018 World Cup qualifiers.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

Sabrina Ionescu injury update: Liberty star carried off floor after ugly ankle sprain

first_imgMORE: Kyrie Irving steps up for WNBA players opting out of 2020 seasonIonescu just rolled her ankle pretty hard pic.twitter.com/Ibb0ZTHi2Z— CJ Fogler #BlackLivesMatter (@cjzero) July 31, 2020Sabrina Ionescu was helped off the court after apparently rolling her left ankle. @espnW pic.twitter.com/w08XE82fhN— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) July 31, 2020New York announced on Twitter that Ionescu left the game with an ankle sprain but didn’t offer any other details on her status. She had scored 10 points in 12 minutes prior to the injury. The Liberty may be without their No. 1 overall pick for quite some time.Sabrina Ionescu had to be helped off the floor after rolling her left ankle in the second quarter of Friday night’s game against the Dream. Ionescu stepped on the foot of Atlanta’s Betnijah Laney near halfcourt and immediately went down in pain. After struggling in her WNBA debut, Ionescu, the top selection in the 2020 WNBA Draft, filled up the stat sheet with 33 points, seven rebounds and seven assists in Wednesday’s loss to the Wings. She is expected to help turn around a Liberty franchise that finished 10-24 last year and 7-27 in 2018.Ionescu received wishes for a speedy recovery from none other than LeBron James.Ouch!! @sabrina_i20 Get healthy as soon as possible! 🙏🏾. Health is wealth— LeBron James (@KingJames) July 31, 2020Ionescu’s injury only adds to the Liberty’s health problems. New York was already missing All-Star guard Kia Nurse, who was injured in the Liberty’s season opener against the Storm.last_img read more

5 shot as gunmen create mayhem at Ramada Princess Casino

first_img– 1 arrested after left behind by colleaguesFive persons were shot after gunmen invaded the Ramada Princess Casino, at Providence, on the East Bank of Demerara in the wee hours of Friday morning.According to reports, pandemonium broke out at the gambling facility after four gunmen stormed the Casino at about 03:45h and discharged several rounds as they relieved patrons and staff of cash and other valuables.During the shooting, Eon Garraway was shot to his left hand; James Gregory was hit to the left foot; Orlando Knights received injuries to the left hand; and Udairan Sookraj was shot to his right hand. They were all admitted to a city hospital.The Ramada Princess Hotel and Casino, ProvidenceIn addition, Melissa Ferguson, Jermaine Mason and Roshel Fraser were also assaulted by the armed men during the episode. Based on reports received, after the men entered the facility, they held a security guard on duty at gunpoint and took away his shotgun and several rounds of ammunition.The gunman captured by Police is loaded into the back of a Police vehicleThe men then ordered everyone to lie on the ground and escorted the security guard to the cashier’s cage where they relieved the cashier of an undisclosed sum of foreign and local currency. By this time, the police were alerted about the robbery in progress and responded promptly.As they arrived at the scene, they were confronted by the armed men which resulted in an exchange of gunfire. During the exchange, Police Lance Corporal Andrew Richardson attached to Impact Base, Brickdam Police Station was shot to his abdomen. He was admitted to a city hospital and reportedly underwent emergency surgery.Meanwhile, during the shootout, one of the bandits was captured and taken into Police custody. The firearm that was taken away from the security guard was recovered. The other three men managed to escape.Guyana Times understands that the car that was used in the robbery was hijacked at Brush Dam, Buxton, on the East Coast of Demerara.Hid in the wash roomHowever, a waitress attached to the casino told this publication that she went to use the wash room located in the lunchroom and as she was leaving, she saw the gunmen making their way into the gambling hall.Upon seeing this, she alerted her colleagues and without hesitation, they joined her in the washroom since they were fearful that something was “going down”. The women, amounting to 12, were joined by two male colleagues who further assisted in securing the area by barring the doors and closing the windows that were open.While hiding in the washroom the woman claimed that they heard footsteps in the kitchen and thought that the gunmen wanted to use the back entrance. Soon after, a hail of gunshots was heard then there was silent.They breathed a sigh of relief after they heard the sound of sirens. As they stepped out of the washroom and went into the gambling hall, they realised that two coworkers were shot. At the scene on Friday morning, A Division (Georgetown-East Bank Demerara) Commander Clifton Hicken confirmed that the Police were able to capture one of the bandits who was hiding on the premises after he was left behind by his colleagues.Management tightlippedHicken could not say how much money was stolen from the casino. As Police investigated the scene, they recovered more than 20 spent shells.When Guyana Times visited the scene later in the day, investigators were tightlipped about the incident and so were the traumatised employees who were seen milling around the area, seemingly in shock. The Manager of the casino also refused to speak with the media.This attack comes as quite a surprise, since anyone going to the casino has to first go through a number of security checks. From reports reaching this newspaper, the Police might be thinking the robbery might have been an inside job.last_img read more