2 February 2011Ford Motor Company of Southern Africa (FMCSA) has opened a world-class production simulator facility at the company’s assembly plant outside Pretoria that will be used to train both its own employees as well as engineering students from various institutions.The facility, which is attached to the motor company’s assembly plant in Silverton, is expected to provide practical training for mechanical and industrial engineering students from institutions such as the Tshwane University of Technology.“We’re excited about the opportunities this training facility will afford students in the engineering field,” FMCSA chief executive Jeff Nemeth said in Pretoria this week. “We see this facility as an enabler to grow and develop more engineering candidates, not only for Ford Motor Company of Southern Africa, but for the industry as a whole.”World-class facilityThe facility, which was officially opened on Tuesday, follows the announcement that the company would invest R3.4-billion to produce its all-new Ford Ranger pick-up truck in South Africa.This world-class production simulator facility is focused on improving the assembly process capabilities of current and future FMCSA employees, in preparation for the production of the Ranger.The facility will enable FMCSA to train employees through simulating production processes off the line long before they start building the new vehicle.“While the facility will allow us to develop the assembly sequence and processes for our new product without disrupting the production of current models, it will allow us to improve the skills of our employees dramatically, enabling them to build world-class vehicles, with best in class quality, and compete with the best in the world,” said Nemeth.Commitment to auto industryGauteng MEC for Economic Development Qedani Dorothy Mahlangu said the provincial government was committed to growth in the automotive industry and had included the sector in its industrial policies and future strategies.She said an amount of R32-million had been allocated for training and development programmes at the assembly plant, giving a much-needed boost to skills development in the sector.Source: BuaNews
The Maharashtra government will seek an assistance of ₹6,813 crore from the Centre for rebuilding flood-ravaged areas in Western Maharashtra and Konkan.The Cabinet Sub Committee, chaired by Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis, on Tuesday cleared a Memorandum of Assistance to be forwarded to the Government of India seeking interim relief, meanwhile agreeing to spend the amount from the State corpus till it is approved. Of the total amount, ₹4,708 crore has been set aside for rebuilding villages in Kolhapur, Sangli and Satara and another ₹2,105 crore for Konkan, Nashik and the remaining districts. “We have also set up an expert committee to assess the impact of climate change and suggest actions and remedies to be taken in situations where we receive 700% rainfall in just four days, as has happened,” Mr. Fadnavis said.Much of the money will be used to rebuild roads, homes and bridges, and make good the losses on account of crop damage, destruction of schools and commercial establishments. Among other measures, ₹2,088 crore is being sought on account of crop damage, ₹876 crore for repair of roads and bridges, and ₹300 crore for assistance to families of the deceased and injured. Among other damages highlighted in the State memorandum are ₹168 crore for irrigation and water resources works, and ₹300 crore towards loss of small trade.Damage has been reported from 70 talukas of Kolhapur, Sangli, Satara, Thane, Nashik, Palghar, Ratnagiri, Raigad and Sindhudurg. The floods left 761 villages marooned, and relief work is being conducted on a large scale in the State. “We will be reconstructing damaged homes under Central schemes. The damage assessment has accounted for relief material that has been provided in the form of food packages,” said Relief and Rehabilitation secretary, Kishor Nimbalkar. Maharashtra is the third State to have sought Central assistance to account for damage caused by the worst floods in decades in Southwest India. Karnataka and Kerala have both sought Central assistance of ₹3,000 crore each.
WATCH: Streetboys show off slick dance moves in Vhong Navarro’s wedding LIST: Class, gov’t work suspensions during 30th SEA Games Fil-Briton Felix John Nobel Tupas finished the card with a dominant debut for the Philippines team in 81kg, banging Cambodian Felix Merlin Martinez via unanimous decision.READ: ‘Solid’ PH boxing team capable of taking home golds But the victories were tinged by the questionable defeat of Carlo Paalam to Malaysian Muhamad Fuad Redzuan in the 49kg.Paalam, one of the most promising boxers in the country at only 19 years old, was clearly on top of everything against the fighter who had earlier in his career lost to Filipinos Rogen Ladon and Elmer Pamisa.But Redzuan kept Paalam busy by dragging him down at least four times throughout the match.ADVERTISEMENT READ: PH in for tough gold hunt in SEA Games; Athletics, boxing bright spotsThe Malaysian also threw haymakers coming from out of nowhere and landing very few.That decision shocked the Philippine team here drawing criticism as the Malaysian Sports Minister Brig. Gen. Khairy Jamaluddin Abu Bakar was in the sidelines. LOOK: Venues for 2019 SEA Games SEA Games in Calabarzon safe, secure – Solcom chief UPLB exempted from SEA Games class suspension LATEST STORIES Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Charly Suarez of the Philippines dominates Khir Akyazlan Bin Azmi of Malaysia in the quarterfinals of the light welterweight class men’s boxing competition of the 29th Southeast Asian Games at the MITEC Hall 8 in Kuala Lumpur. Suarez prevailed by unanimous decision. CONTRIBUTED PHOTO/SEA GAMES POOLKUALA LUMPUR — Two-time champion Charly Suarez battered Malaysia foe to score a convincing decision win and lead two other Filipino boxers to the Southeast Asian Games semifinals at MITEC Hall 8.Suarez slammed left and right upper cuts to the solar plexus of Khir Akyazlan Azmi in the third to win the 64kg quarterfinal match before a band of uniformed, boisterous crowd trying to distract the Filipino.ADVERTISEMENT Catriona Gray spends Thanksgiving by preparing meals for people with illnesses PH boxing team determined to deliver gold medals for PH PLAY LIST 05:25PH boxing team determined to deliver gold medals for PH00:59Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games03:07PH billiards team upbeat about gold medal chances in SEA Games00:50Trending Articles01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games03:04Filipino athletes share their expectations for 2019 SEA Games00:45Onyok Velasco see bright future for PH boxing in Olympics02:25PH women’s volleyball team motivated to deliver in front of hometown crowd01:27Filipino athletes get grand send-off ahead of SEA Games MOST READ PH men’s volley team drops SEA Games opener to Vietnam “I told myself that I need to win the favor of the crowd,” said Suarez in Filipino who unloaded his power punches that put Azmi on all fours. The Malaysian, though, made the count.READ: PH boxers make rousing 2017 SEA Games debutsFEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutMario Fernandez also advanced after a masterful unanimous decision win over Tran Phu Masuk of Vietnam in the 56kg.Fernandez, the defending champion in bantamweight division, controlled the match with his 1-2 combinations. SEA Games: PH’s Alisson Perticheto tops ice skating short program Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Read Next View comments
Power-watching is the favourite indoor sport for many in the nation’s capital. In our case it’s a professional necessity. Like bird-watching, it too requires patience, with long periods of time spent waiting to sight the first flutter in a bush.When Union Home Minister L.K. Advani was appointed deputy prime minister on June 29, caution was the best response. There is no clear-cut role for a deputy prime minister in the Constitution.It was tempting to club his appointment and the lacklustre cabinet reshuffle that followed as cosmetic rather than real change. In fact, a party member described it as “a de facto situation made de jure”.A week has elapsed and there is a definite sense only now of a shift having taken place in the functioning of the Government. By no means has Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee retired but it would seem that more day-to-day political decisions are being referred to Mr Advani.Advani has always enjoyed a special status within the BJP. Now he has almost acquired the role of a CEO to Vajpayee’s chairman of the board.A power shift of this nature is of tremendous interest especially since Advani evokes extreme responses. There are those who swear by him and there are others for whom he is the face of hardline Hindutva and the Rath Yatra. We decided to find out which of these Advanis will now prevail in Government and in which direction he intends to steer the NDA.We sent Editor Prabhu Chawla, Managing Editor Swapan Dasgupta and Associate Editor Rajeev Deshpande to interact with Advani: they spent a relaxed 90 minutes discussing a range of subjects in order to gauge the change in the new deputy prime minister.Says Dasgupta, “Earlier, asked an embarrassing question, he would look down and wring his hands. Now he looks you straight in the eye and is ready with an answer.”At a time when the NDA struggles to deal with its mid-term blues, Advani’s appointment could be the BJP’s last hope to infuse some dynamism in the functioning of the Government.
London: Britain’s Opposition Labour Party ended the crucial cross-party Brexit talks with Prime Minister Theresa May on Friday without striking a deal, saying negotiations have “gone as far as they can”. Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn wrote to May to declare an end to the negotiation process, blaming the “weakness and instability” of her government as a leadership contest gets underway within the ruling Conservative Party. The development came a day after Prime Minister May was forced to set a June timeline for her exit from Downing Street. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince Salman ‘snubbed’ Pak PM Imran, recalled his private jet from US: Report”I have written to Theresa May to say that talks on finding a compromise agreement for leaving the European Union have gone as far as they can,” Corbyn tweeted. “The government’s growing weakness and instability means there cannot be confidence in its ability to deliver,” he said. Britain’s exit from the 28-member European Union had been due to take place on March 29 – but after MPs voted down the deal May had negotiated with the bloc three times, the EU gave the UK an extension until October 31. Also Read – Iraq military admits ‘excessive force’ used in deadly protests”The increasing weakness and instability of your government means there cannot be confidence in securing whatever might be agreed between us,” Corbyn wrote. “As you have been setting out your decision to stand down and Cabinet ministers are competing to succeed you, the position of the government has become ever more unstable and its authority eroded,” he noted. Stressing that his party had conducted the exercise in “good faith” and that some constructive effort had gone into finding a possible consensus, there has been growing concern within the Opposition ranks about the government’s ability to deliver on any compromise agreement. The Labour Party has been in favour of a form of a common customs arrangement with the European Union (EU) that keeps the UK aligned with its European neighbours on trade tariffs post-Brexit. Some Labour MPs have also insisted they would not back a deal with the government unless it includes another referendum. Both scenarios have caused anger among Brexit-backing Conservatives, who claim a customs union would stop the UK negotiating its own trade deals around the world and who believe another public vote is undemocratic. In his letter to the British Prime Minister, Corbyn noted: “Not infrequently, proposals by your negotiating team have been publicly contradicted by statements from other members of the Cabinet. “In recent days we have heard senior Cabinet ministers reject any form of customs union, regardless of proposals made by government negotiators.” The Labour leader is equally clear about the party’s opposition to May’s unchanged Withdrawal Agreement, which is set for a fourth House of Commons vote in the week beginning June 3.
Rabat – Moroccan delegate-minister for the interior, Cherki Drais, met this Tuesday US Ambassador at Large and Coordinator for Counterterrorism at the State Department, Tina Kaidanow, over Morocco-US cooperation in security issues.Talks covered “the excellent cooperation between Morocco and the USA in the fight against terrorism, which is a priority both for Morocco and for the USA, and the training of Moroccan executives,” said the Moroccan official following the meeting.A delegation of the state department is expected in Morocco to discuss the implementation of the training program, he added.
Manchester City will observe Danilo’s fitness upon his return from international duty with BrazilThe 27-year-old full-back had only recovered from an ankle injury last month, but appeared to have sustained damage in the same area on Tuesday.Danilo started for Brazil in their South American showdown with rivals Argentina in a four-team friendly competition at Saudi Arabia.But Sky Sports reports that a tearful Danilo was forced to leave the King Abdullah Sports City stadium in the final 37 minutes of the game with a suspected ankle injury.The injury occurred while Danilo attempted to stop an Argentina attack and he was replaced with Liverpool’s Fabinho by Brazil coach Tite.It’s currently unclear whether Danilo will be available for City’s Premier League game against Burnley this Saturday at the Etihad Stadium.Daniel Farke, From mid-table in the Championship to the Premier League Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 Norwich City manager, Daniel Farke, has taken his team from the middle of the table in the English Championship to play with the big boys in the Premier League.The Brazilian has featured only once this season for Pep Guardiola’s side in a 3-0 win over Oxford United in the Carabao Cup.Meanwhile, Brazil won the game against Argentina 1-0 through a late Miranda goal.Danilo leaves field in tears for Brazil to hand boss Guardiola injury blow https://t.co/xtbrHPSoyk pic.twitter.com/ap5Hn59NiG— The Sun – Man City (@SunManCity) October 16, 2018
Bookmakers will be getting it all wrong if they feel Manchester City’s game against Chelsea will be a walk in the park, says Aymeric Laporte.The Spanish defender who penned down a new contract with the Citizens has warned his side not to be complacent in the Carabao Cup final on Sunday.Both sides have cancelled each other out in the league front but Guardiola’s men are overwhelming favourites having humbled the London side 6-0 less than a fortnight ago.Still a lot to live for, still a lot to enjoy. Thank you @mancity for keeping your trust in me. It is an honour to be part of this family.The best is yet to come! 💙 #AL14 #Laporte2025 pic.twitter.com/qITxDfF2c8— Aymeric Laporte (@Laporte) February 22, 2019The result compounded Maurizio Sarri’s woes and plunged the future of the Italian manager into serious doubt as the run of disappointing results continued.However, Laporte is of the view that there would not be a repeat of the Etihad Stadium result in Wembley.Match Preview: Wolverhampton vs Chelsea Boro Tanchev – September 13, 2019 Wolverhampton will host Chelsea at the Molineux Stadium in one of the most interesting Premier League games this weekend.“I think that people are mistaken,” Laporte, revealed in a quote cited on Goal.“Their results recently haven’t been good but they have a great squad, great players and they have shown that they know how to play good football.“They have a great team and we have to concentrate on ourselves, do our things well and hopefully we will.“All the matches that we have got from now until the end of the season are finals. We will try to win them all and try to achieve our objectives.Chelsea can’t lose 6-0 to Man City twice… right?https://t.co/92Mq2S6gCs— Goal News (@GoalNews) February 22, 2019“We are expecting a very difficult match, very physical and we have to play at our best level if we are to win.”
Wednesday 1/17Audio PlayerWEDNESDAY-MATT-11918.mp3VmWEDNESDAY-MATT-11918.mp300:00RPdBorough Memo Offers Update On ACLU Invocation Lawsuit, Troopers Apprehend Barricaded Suspect At Private Residence In Anchor Point, Borough Assembly Finds Solution To Vacant Service Board Seats Friday 1/19Audio PlayerFRIDAY-MATT-11918.mp3VmFRIDAY-MATT-11918.mp300:00RPdGovernor Walker Talks Optimism In State Of The State Address, Hilcorp Unveils Big Plans For Work In The Cook Inlet For 2018, Kenai Begins Overhaul Of Lease Process For Airport Lands Tuesday 1/16Audio Player01-19-2018-THIS-WEEK-TUESDAY-FINAL.mp3Vm01-19-2018-THIS-WEEK-TUESDAY-FINAL.mp300:00RPdTroopers Respond To Stolen Vehicle/Barricaded Suspect, Applicants Sought For Kenai River Special Management Area Advisory Board, City Of Kenai Looks At Amendments To Marijuana Regulations, The State Legislature Is Officially In Session, Kenai To Consider Rerouted Funds To Fix 2016 Earthquake Damage To Dock Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享The KSRM News Department compiled some of the top stories from this past week. Monday 1/15Audio PlayerMONDAY-MATT-11918.mp3VmMONDAY-MATT-11918.mp300:00RPdInitial Plans For Soldotna Sports Center Field House Are Complete, Travelers Rallied To Assist Roadside Accident On Black Ice Highway, Bill Aimed At Reducing Number Of Set Netters On East Side Of Cook Inlet Thursday 1/18Audio Player01-19-2018-THIS-WEEK-THURSDAY-FINAL.mp3Vm01-19-2018-THIS-WEEK-THURSDAY-FINAL.mp300:00RPdProject Homeless Connect Has Seen Increase In Job Loss Related Homelessness, 5 Inmates Treated After ‘Riot’ In Seward Prison Yard, Anchorage Drug Bust Takes $1.2 Million in Meth and Heroin, Kenai Dock Repairs Estimated To Cost $259,000
The drug take-back day is being hosted by the Soldotna Police Department, Change 4 the Kenai and the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), to prevent pill abuse and theft. The DEA cannot accept liquids or needles or sharps, only pills or patches. Representatives from Change 4 the Kenai emphasize that the service is free and anonymous, with no questions asked. The Soldotna Professional Pharmacy will be open from 10 a.m.to 2 p.m., for the event. Change 4 the Kenai will be giving away $5 coffee cards to each person who disposes their unused or expired medication until they run out. Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享On Saturday, April 29, Kenai Peninsula residents will be able to dispose of potentially dangerous expired, unused, and unwanted prescription drugs from 10am to 2pm at Soldotna Professional Pharmacy. For more information about the disposal of prescription drugs or about the April 29 Take Back Day event, visit Change 4 The Kenai.