Blues to play at Brookvale Oval

first_imgSanzaar has announced the May 5 match would switch from the regular Allianz Stadium in Sydney to Brookvale Oval, home of the NRL’s Manly Sea Eagles.The Waratahs requested the change due to the possibility Allianz Stadium will host the A-League grand final that day.The kick-off time has also changed.Scheduled for a mid-afternoon kickoff, it has moved to 7.45pm.The changes was carried out in consultation with the Blues.SANZAAR CEO Andy Marinos said, “Sydney’s busy sporting calendar has unfortunately necessitated this move but the Waratahs have made a sensible decision in taking the match into one of its rugby strongholds in the Northern Beaches. The change of kick-off time is sympathetic to the requirements of grass roots rugby and should also ensure a healthy turn out at the Waratahs versus Blues match later in the day.”last_img read more

Rugby League: Warriors treatment of Johnson ‘harsh’

first_imgThe Kiwi NRL club has advised long-serving playmaker Johnson to test his value on the open market, even though there’s a year to run on his contract.The timing and public nature of the Warriors announcement was criticised by Nikorima, coming midway through New Zealand’s three-Test series in England.He said his room mate Johnson was caught off guard, days out from Sunday’s second Test in Liverpool.”I’ve spoken to Shaun about it. I thought it was pretty harsh the way it all came out and him being on the other side of the world, not having any control over that,” Nikorima said.”I just told him, ‘Stay focused, you’re part of this team now and the rest will just take care of itself’.”The most influential player at the Warriors since his debut in 2011, Johnson is reportedly in Canberra’s sights.The Raiders are believed to have requested the 28-year-old cut his contract short and cross the Tasman as soon as next season to resolve a shortage of options in the halves.Nikorima didn’t think the uncertainty surrounding his teammate would prove a distraction as the tourists seek to reverse last week’s 18-16 loss in Hull.”He doesn’t show too much and he’s still the same Shaun Johnson that first came over here before all that came out,” Nikorima said.The Broncos playmaker believes his combination with Johnson has taken great strides since last year’s failed World Cup campaign.The pair impressed in last month’s upset of the Kangaroos and aren’t as restricted in their roles under Michael Maguire as when they oversaw a stuttering attack in the quarter-final loss to Fiji.”If you look back at the World Cup, we both stuck to one side. Instead of now, we’re roaming,” he said.”I think we’re getting a really good combo happening. We haven’t played that much games (together) but the fact that we’re room mates now helps out a little bit – getting to know each other’s personalities.”I’m a bit of a clown and he’s the more serious one.”last_img read more

PNG through to gold medal play off in men’s cricket

first_imgOpener Riley Hekure was the star with his knock of 115 off 64 balls. Hekure smashed 10 fours and 6 sixes for PNG to set the target at 176.Tonga’s openers in Aloisio Pau’u (13) and Nikolasi Moala (16) got Tonga off to reasonably good start.The dismissals of the pair brought on to the crease Maamaloa Kuluka who top scored with 41.But Kuluka eventually ran out of partners to help chase down the target as wickets fell in close succession. Tonga’s innings came to an end at 5/108 after 20 overs.Joel Tom for PNG took 2/16 off his three overs.PNG A will play Vanuatu for gold at 2pm while Tonga plays New Caledonia for bronze.last_img read more

Hagen District sporting codes receive close to a million kina

first_imgThis is probably the biggest funding in sports for any district in the country. And the United Resources Party leader has hinted further increase in funding during the presentation of all Duma sponsored sporting codes in Mt Hagen recently.All sporting codes assembled at the Queen’s Park in an unprecedented gathering, never seen before in the history of sports in Mt Hagen were they were recognised in their efforts to represent Mt Hagen.During the presentation of cheques totalling K340,000 to three ‘Duma off-season rugby league competitions, soccer and basketball, Duma announced a K200,000 for 22 other sporting activities which come under the new Hagen District Sports Association as well.The MP promised additional funding of K70,000 each to soccer and basketball who received cheques of K30,000 respectively while the three rugby league competitions – Gomis League, Komkui Duma off-season, Hagen Urban Settlers Duma off-season, received a total of K280,000.At the Provincial level, Team Western Highlands would receive a major boost of K150,000 for the November PNG Games in Kimbe.Duma has nurtured sports men and women at the local community level competitions up to the top at Provincial and National level as is evident with his continues support not only the off-season competitions but the Mt Hagen Eagles, Team Western Highlands, Hagen League, Referees Associations, Judiciary, individual clubs and the provincial teams in the various codes.As if these are not enough, the Minister has hinted a sports stadium to cater for all codes was in the pipeline as the current venues like the Popes’ Oval and Queen’s Park where games were held were reserved city parks.Duma who sponsored the off season competitions in the city when he was a private barrister well before he became an MP called on all sports officials to work together with the new City Commission and help keep Mt Hagen clean.‘This is all I ask of you, keep our city clean. As sports men and women, you’ll lure respect so let us show by example and lead the others in supporting the City Commission.’  Duma said.He said sportsmen and women were the pride of communities and were looked upon as heros and these should be translated to benefit the communities.Well known sporting personnel John Passingan, John Waka, Simon Kama, Billy Noi Jr and Susan Nabaur thanked Duma, adding it was new era in sports for Mt Hagen.Picture: Mr Duma presents the trophy for the Komkui Offseason league to officials.last_img read more

Young Cowboys expect to get targeted

first_imgThe challenges come two-fold for both players. Hughes will step up from the fullback position at Intrust Super Cup level to the front line at NRL level, while Hess’ physical challenge shifts from playing second row in the under-20s to a front-row or lock role in top grade.Both will line up in their second NRL games, with Hughes making his debut as an 18-year-old with Gold Coast and Hess arriving onto the scene for the Cowboys in Round 25 last year against the Warriors.Five-eighth Hughes predicts a Dragons parade down his side of the field as they look to test the youngster’s mettle.”They are probably going to throw heaps of tackles down my end and I’m just going to have to keep making them and making them. But I’m happy to do that, I’m sweet,” he said.”I don’t mind defending. Obviously it’s going to be a bit different to defending in the Q-Cup, but I’ve just got to get my body in front and help out the edges.”I think they will see me and Ray named in the halves and I think they will try to target us, but we’ve both going to play to the best of our ability and the boys around us are going to help us so we will be all right.”Over the last couple of seasons the Cowboys have done a good job protecting playmakers Johnathan Thurston and Michael Morgan, with workhorse back-rowers Ethan Lowe and Gavin Cooper ranking sixth and seventh respectively in total tackles by a second-rower in the NRL.That ‘bodyguard’ role has been a staple of the Cowboys’ defensive system, and Hess says his halves can feel safe again this week.”The systems we have in place in defence always cover the halves in general, so we just follow our systems and hopefully guys like Jahrome can get protected,” he said.”I guess being a younger fella, all the old heads want to get one on you.”Jahrome, being in the front line of defence might be a bit different for him.”At just 19 years old, Hess in particular has been touted as one of the key players of the Cowboys’ next generation, with Saturday seen as a gauge as to the progress of the Junior Kangaroo.”I’ve been pretty happy with my form recently, so I will be looking forward to taking that into this weekend. I’m playing in the front-row or in the lock position this week, so it’s a different role,” he said.”I’ve packed on two or three more kilos since last year, and I feel a lot fitter, so that’s a credit to the pre-season that we do here.”I feel pretty comfortable at the weight I am now, and my fitness.”[NRL] is a lot faster and everyone’s a bit bigger… the bigger bodies, the bigger hits.”A few more bumps and bruises the next day.”last_img read more

PNG Kapuls lead over Tahiti in OFC

first_imgIt was a tough match throughout the first half as Papua New Guineans gave the reigning champs a hard time driving through the back with the Komolong brothers Alvin and Felix partnering with sweeper  Danial Joe to maintain a strong backline.Despite PNG Skipper David Muta and mid-fielder Jacob Sabua both given yellow cards, Sabua returned with a stunning comeback after the warning with a right wing cross that leaves Veteran Gunemba who swindled the ball with his left foot past the Tahitian goalkeeper.PNG scored right on half time to  lead Tahiti 1-0.last_img read more

Arnal Llibert, new sports director of AEK Larnaca

first_imgThe AEK Larnaca He has a new sports director. And, how could it be otherwise, it is Spanish. After Jordi Cruyff, Xavi Roca and Ander Murillo it’s the turn of Arnal Llibert, who arrives at a club in which he already worked as a player during the 2010/11 season.Llibert arrives at Cyprus nine months after his separation from Nàstic de Tarragona, where he also served as sports director. As a player, the Girona player was a globetrotter: he went through four Cypriot teams, played in Malta and even Indian Super League champion was proclaimed with Atlético de Calcutta. “AEK Larnaca announces its partnership with Arnal Llibert Count, the new sports director of the team, ”the Cypriot club announced on its website. The Spanish, who signs for the next two and a half seasons, will have the challenge of restructuring the workforce to alleviate the bad results harvested by the team in the first part of the course, which ended with the dismissals of Imanol Idiákez Y Ander Murillo last December.last_img read more

Bolo: “We knew that Isi could happen, we have a plan B”

first_imgAlthough he did not want to advance names on the possible substitute for Murcia, the blue and white coach confirmed that “the plans in the market vary, because before we looked for a profile and now we are looking for two. It is very difficult because Isi is a great player, but we will try to find something similar. ” On the other hand, he said that “we think we have found what we wanted in another profile (a striker), but let’s see if everything goes well.” The Ponferradina coach, Jon Pérez Bolo, admitted Friday at the press conference prior to the match against Alcorcón that the departure of Isi to Rayo Vallecano “It is an important decline, but we knew what could happen and we have a plan B. Let’s see if we want to do what we want to do.” Bolo spared no praise for the player, despite the penalty for his departure: “The circumstances are these and we can only accept them. We are happy for him and it is a pride that a team like Lightning takes notice of us, because it will be that we are doing things right. I can only thank Isi both in sports, for everything she has contributed, as personally. We are leaving a friend and we wish him the best ”. Bolo also acknowledged that he expects ‘to lose weight’ in the remainder of the month after working with 26 players during the first part of the championship: “There are too many players, although we have done well. We do not know how many there will be on February 1, we have talked with some players to find a way out and they can have the minutes here we do not see how to give them, even if they deserve them. It is something that is in your hand, if you decide to stay, I will not fault you, but you know it will be difficult for you to play. ” On the other hand, confirmed that Oscar Sielva will be at eleven in Santo Domingo Once recovered from his injury, while waiting for Saturday’s training to assess whether the last to arrive, René and Iván Rodríguez, enter the call.Silvano celebrates his 20 years in the presidencyLa Ponferradina paid a small tribute yesterday to its president, José Fernández Nieto, on the occasion of his 20 years at the head of the club. Under his mandate, Ponferradina went from fighting to remain in Second B in 2000 to enter professional football, where he has played six of the last ten seasons. Silvano, as he is popularly known, expressed his desire to celebrate the centenary of the club in 2022 “with the Ponferradina as high as possible.”In the event were present, in addition to the members of the current staff and the workers of the club, the president of the Federation of Castile and Leon of Football, Marcelino Maté, and the coach who achieved the first ascent to Second Division in 2006, Pichi Luke.last_img read more

“It was never in my hands, I wanted to stay at Barça”

first_imgRonaldo Nazario counted on DAZN Italy an anecdote hitherto unknown about how his departure from Barcelona. Everyone knows that the Brazilian, after making a historic season in the Barcelona in which he finished as top scorer of the Spanish league and winner of the European Cup Winners Cup, he left at Inter de Milan for an amount of stratospheric money at that time, the 4,000 million of its termination clause. However, he himself acknowledges that his intention was to renew, but that the Barca club chaired by Josep Lluis Núñez, backed out in a matter of days: “I would have signed a renewal contract at the end of the season and I left with the Brazilian team. Five days later, they called me to tell me that they could not continue with the renewal. It was never in my hands. I wanted to stay.” . The forward says he was forced to leave when the negotiations broke down and that he wanted to continue wearing Barca: “If the club did not value me as I thought, then the decision was not in my hands. I would have liked to stay but it did not depend on me.” The former player confessed that it was Roberto Carlos who convinced him that playing at Real Madrid was a great idea, although it took years to follow his advice: “I played with Roberto Carlos in Brazil and he told me everything that Real Madrid represented and his experience there. It stuck in my mind and after a few years I wanted to see it with my own eyes.” He also acknowledges that he exceeded his expectations: “I came to Madrid and it was even better than what Roberto Carlos had told me, bigger than I could imagine. It’s Real Madrid. There is great expectation and great pressure. Of course, there are also the best players in the world. I I was delighted to discover a huge club and could help make it even bigger. “ The president of Valladolid He also talked about ‘Galactic’, which in addition to offering a great show within the playing fields, made the club’s business models evolve in terms of transfers: “There was a lot of expectation for the ‘Galactics’. In the end we gave a lot of show being a winning generation and we changed the way we do business in football. Since then, clubs have generated more money and sold better to their players. That was the big change in the new era of football. “Finally, the Brazilian could not say in which team the best Ronaldo was seen, although he acknowledges that he was happy in all the clubs in which he was until his retirement: “However, I couldn’t tell you which version of me was better. I enjoyed all of them, of course. I love playing football and I love football. I think it’s a question more for the fans than for me. I tried to do my best. throughout my career. “last_img read more

Real Madrid will present Reinier on Tuesday, according to LaSexta

first_imgReal Madrid wants to give Reinier as much visibility as possible, for which he has paid 30 million euros. The figure was that of his Flamengo termination clause. The confidence of the board in its future is very great and its objective is to demonstrate it with gestures as a presentation in the Santiago Bernabéu. Reinier will land with his family this Saturday in Spain. The player will have just a couple of days to go to Madrid along with his own and to complete the move. Starting Monday, your new routine will really begin. Reinier Jesus will be presented as a new Real Madrid player next Tuesday 18th, as reported by the program Jugglers this Friday. AS already informed three days ago that the carioca would have a presentation and that the club was studying a date, with Monday as the first possibility shuffled.As explained by LaSexta’s sports, the Brazilian soccer player will have his start on Tuesday. It will also be at the beginning of next week when the midfielder starts training with his new teammates, Castilla players, where he will be number 19. 19last_img read more